Don’t you hate it when you’re proud of yourself that you actually managed to cut down on clothing purchases the past 6 months and then the sales hit? Yeah, me too. I bought not one, but two striped tops these past two weeks. Because as we all know, you can never own too many striped shirts or sweaters. So let me tell you about my new two purchases and while I’m at it, which striped tops I think are worth your money.
The Isabel Marant Étoile sweater probably doesn’t qualify as your typical classic striped top but it’s a stripe nevertheless. I figured a hint of colour would do my wardrobe some good. I cleaned my closet a few weeks ago and I had to conclude that white, black and navy blue make up for 99% of my wardrobe. I first spotted it at the Bijenkorf in Amsterdam but after trying it on, I quickly did an internet search and found it for €40 less and free shipping. Easy decision right?
The A.P.C. top turned out a little different than I expected from the pictures but it made me like it even more. It looks black and white but is actually more of a creme colour with navy blue stripes. It’s quite boxy, has a boat neck and the 3/4 sleeves are always a plus in my book. So different enough from my Comme des Garçons shirts to warrant to purchase. D. was a bit sceptical and asked: “Are you sure you like those splits on the sides?” He knows I like my clothes as simple as possible. But yes, I do, on this shirt.
As for brands that I recommend if you are looking for a breton shirt?
- Comme des Garçons Play. They come in different colours and everyone loves that red little heart on the chest. I’ve gotten so many compliments and both of them still look wonderful. I’ve had one of them for at least 5 years and wear them regularly. I prefer the mens version because it’s not as fitted and a tiny bit longer.
- Saint James does the striped shirt as no other. T-shirts, long sleeves, knitted sweaters… And I’m also a sucker for heritage brands. They do different styles so there’s something for everyone. I personally prefer the unisex Minquiers Moderne shirt and can also highly recommend the Maree II merino sweater.
- Another favourite brand is Petit Bateau. The Bayure shirt ticks all the boxes. Not too fitted, slightly boxy and a boat neck.
- A.P.C. has different striped shirts every season. So it’s pretty hit or miss if you’re as particular as I can be. The one above is currently on sale (also comes in a dress). The new version is up now on the A.P.C. website. I also recommend the striped t-shirts if you’re looking for one.
- To be honest, I don’t own any striped tops by Uniqlo. But I’m impressed with the overall quality of the brands clothes so I’m 99% sure these shirts will not disappoint. This particular one resembles the fit and colour from that A.P.C. top apart from the longer sleeves.