Only two more days until it’s officially fall. From now on, temperatures will only continue to drop. We certainly can’t complain as it was a terrific summer. Far from usual, here in the Netherlands. Although, taking global warming into account, I’m sure our summers will get progressively warmer and longer. All weather conditions aside though, I thought I’d do a roundup of summer outfits now that I’ve finally decided that mirror shots are acceptable.
I’ve been wearing different variations of the outfits above and below all through summer. That’s definitely a perk of buying clothing in neutral colours; everything can easily be combined. Someone commented that I always manage to look put together and that, even if she were to wear the same kind of clothes, she would never look the same. Obviously I disagreed and told her it’s all about materials and fit. For instance, I could’ve bought any random white tanktop but opted for this one instead. It looks more expensive than it actually is. Which is, according to my friend Nicky, one of my talents; to find reasonably priced stuff that could easily be mistaken for a more expensive brand.
D. rarely comments on my outfits although I always make him share his thoughts on any new purchases. An extra voice of reason, you could say. So imagine my surprise when I heard him say: “I can definitely tell that you are finally easing into summer clothing.” I didn’t even notice it myself at first but he was right. This was the first time that I wasn’t complaining about my wardrobe and was even excited about getting dressed in the morning. There wasn’t a single piece of summer clothing in my closet that I wasn’t happy with and didn’t get worn. So wardrobe-wise, this was a good summer!
Final summer (wardrobe) thoughts
- Wide-legged trousers are an excellent alternative for skirts and dresses.
- Linen, silk and cotton are your friends. Skip any synthetic materials.
- When buying new clothes, keep in mind that they will need to be washed more regularly than fall/winter clothes.
- Get a pedicure every once in a while. I never understood why people would spend money on them until I tried it myself for the first time this summer.
- Dark blue or navy over black. Looks a little less harsh and also goes with anything in my closet.